Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 30, 2011: Run for Africa 5K

Yesterday we woke to a 5:30 am wake up call. 
Why on earth would we wake at 5:30 am on Sabbath morning???
We woke to Run for Africa. 
Children of the Nations was the main sponsor.
My brother and his wife ran with us. They were sick, but still came to run and support the cause for our bub! They really are a couple of AMAZING people!!! I can't believe they still came being sick! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
The Florida heat at 7 am was INSANE! I think it was 80 degrees at least when we woke up. 
Just after the national anthem I looked forward. Someday I can show our bub all the people who support their birth continent in America. People who recognize we need to support each other regardless of our birth place, nation or continent. 
After the race we were SOAKED and tired from the heat. Looking back at the finish line I could see the American flag. I walked back to the flag to take a closer look.
I couldn't help but notice where the USA flag was posted on the world map...Africa. We, as Americans, ran to support our fellow human beings, brothers and sisters in Christ, in Africa.


If amidst famine and drought people can walk 100 miles in desert heat for a small meal, I can wake at 5:30 am to run 3 miles to support them.

I've been so saddened and concerned with the recent news of Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia. I can't help but wonder if our child's family is struggling right this very moment. Do they have food to eat? Do they have hope? Each meal I have, I think of them. I think of my fullness and have this sense of guilt. 

Embarrassment of American riches. 

We complain or feel frustrated when the food we eat is not exactly what we want. If we don't have our coffee in the morning. If we run out of ice in our freezer. 

I need to be more thankful for what we have. Even for the canned ravioli in our pantry (I have NO IDEA how we acquired that...ha!). 
How can you help support those in the Horn of Africa suffering? See the links below and at the right side of our blog.




xoxo
feed one

No comments: