Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Desperate Prayer Request


As you know, I'm training for a half marathon on behalf of two young women fighting breast cancer: Gina and Abby. I am asking for intercessory prayer. With a heavy heart, please see below.

Good morning everyone,

I wanted to offer an update on Gina McReynolds and ask for your thoughts and prayers. Her update is one that I can't understand when there is a village, an army, of people praying and hoping for her. She's touched a lot of lives, like mine, without even knowing them. She has a fierce faith and brave outlook. Sometimes her updates have hints of sadness, but usually she's confident and positive. Last evening's was fearful and desperate. 

Her Update:


January 11, 2012

Posted 10 hours ago
I have my results. And I am sorry I can't call everyone, but I just need to post the results and than I promise I will call as I can.  The cancer has spread. It is in two places in my bones, has further spread in my lungs and some lymph nodes of my mid sternum area. I will be honest...I am scared, but I have not given up! I will keep fighting. With God's power I will make it though this! We are in research mode right now. I have to find a clinical trial ASAP. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I know anything. I love you and thank you so much for keeping me and my family in your prayers. Will try to write soon.
Love,

Gina


Her update breaks my heart and I find myself asking God "why?". I recently heard of an event that was nothing short of a miracle for all involved and I wonder why some stories receive the miracle and others it seems...well, I just wonder. I believe there is a bigger picture we do not understand. I believe God is not the author of beasts like cancer. I believe cancer was conquered on a wooden cross. Even-so, I find myself sitting at the foot of the cross this morning asking why? 

So I write to ask for a few more people in the "village" to pray on Gina's behalf. To pray for her courage. To pray that she continue to reach out for God in the midst of the storm on the lake of her life instead of jumping back into the boat. To pray for her husband Will that he have the strength to carry Gina and their children when she's too weak. To pray for her children who are so young and do not understand why mommy hurts, is sad or tired. 

Training for this run is going well. It's hard but nothing in comparison. I've switched from listening to music to listening to an audiobook called Barefoot Church by Brandon Hatmaker. It's an amazing book. My training is not important right now. I thank you for your support, but I am asking for prayer today on Gina and her family's behalf.

3 comments:

michelle said...

Erika-
That other FL blogger just wanted you to know I have added, Gina, Her family and yourself to our prayers.
mlynn

Alison said...

Praying for Gina and her family!!!

Kim said...

Oh my gracious. I will be praying so hard for your sweet friends. I am so glad that I came across your blog tonight. Our God is BIG and He HEALS!